• The Aurora Regional Fire Museum (ARFM) reserves the right to refuse any entry deemed inappropriate.
• Except for the base, entries must be made from 100% edible materials. All walls and roofs should be made primarily of gingerbread. Edible materials are not limited to sweets. No artificial display materials, such as cardboard, wood, plastic, styrofoam or interior lighting are to be used. Candy must be unwrapped and free of any inedible materials (such as lollipop sticks).
• All entries must be affixed to a sturdy base,
(1/4 inch plywood is suggested). The overall size of you entry -- FIREhouse combined with a base -- must not be greater than 24” by 24”.
• The competition is open to all residents and businesses -- you can fly in from the North Pole as long as you're able to deliver your gingerbread FIREhouse entry to us in one piece -- on an “as space allows” basis.
• All completed entry forms (along with entry fee) must be received no later than Nov. 19, 2013. Entries that are not pre-registered will not be accepted. Entry forms may be obtained and submitted online at: www.AuroraRegionalFireMuseum.org/gingerbread/registration.htm
• The entry form must be signed by the individual entering the competition. For families/groups, please complete one entry form for the group which includes a parent’s or team captain’s name along with a separate list of each team members’ first and last name. A signature from a parent or legal guardian will be required for each team member under the age of 18. The parent or team captain will be the recipient of any prizes, and it is their responsibility to distribute (or split) any prize.
• Participants may choose to donate their entry to be raffled off on Dec. 19, 2013 with all proceeds benefiting the ARFM.
• All entries should be delivered to the ARFM on Tuesday November 26, 2013 during the hours of 10am and 4pm, (unless pre-arranged with the museum’s staff). All entries will remain on display at the ARFM through Dec. 20, 2012. Entries may not be picked up before Dec. 19, 2012. Any entries unclaimed by Dec. 21 shall become the property of the ARFM.
• The ARFM reserves the right to photograph entries for promotional purposes.
IDENTIFICATION and DESCRIPTION:
• Please print your name, address, and contact information on the underside of your base.
• Include with your gingerbread FIREhouse, a separate sheet of paper that lists your name(s), address, phone, e-mail, title of your house, the division you have entered, and also briefly describe the materials and construction process.
JUDGING PROCESS and CRITERIA:
• Awards and prizes will be given in various categories:
- Junior (under 18) Division - 1st Place - $50
- Junior (under 18) Division - 2nd Place - $25
- Adult Division - 1st Place - $100
- Adult Division - 2nd Place - $50
- Advanced Division - 1st Place - $150
- Advanced Division - 2nd Place - $100
. . Also to be awarded are special prizes for:
- Best use of candy
- Best entry based on a “real” building (nationwide)
- Best entry based on a local (Aurora regional) building
. . And: “People's Choice” award based on votes from visitors
• Entries will be judged in the following criteria: Adherence to Theme; Creativity and Originality; Level of Precision and Skill; and Overall Appearance
• Judging will take place from 1-3pm on Saturday Nov. 30, 2013. Winners will be announced at 3:30pm that day. Entrants are strongly encouraged to be present.
• All rulings by the judges are independent and final, and are in no way influenced by the ARFM. Guest judges will represent three professions: culinary arts, architecture, and the fire service.